New Position: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The News Literacy Project seeks its first-ever COO to oversee and further develop a wide variety of operational, financial and administrative responsibilities for a $2 million, nine-year-old 501(c)(3) organization.
We are a leading, nationally recognized education nonprofit dedicated to news literacy training for middle school and high school students. In today’s media environment, with the global reach of the 24/7 news cycle, the need for NLP’s curricula and training for young people has never been more urgent. The successful applicant, together with the founder/CEO and an established NLP team, will be positioned to lead the organization into a new era of organizational maturity. We anticipate that this growth will include revising the way we’re structured, building greater reach and impact, and developing additional tools and platforms to meet the demand and greater visibility we are experiencing with our stakeholders, which include educators, funders, media outlets, parents, students and community leaders.
This position reports to the founder/CEO. All other positions report to the COO.
The ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrated experience in business operations, business development, strategic planning and management
- Experience developing and building corporate, partner and funder relationships
- Active knowledge of nonprofit organizational structures and management
- 15+ years of increasing responsibility in corporate or nonprofit environments
- Proven ability to manage complex and multiple projects
- Deep working knowledge of at least one of these fields — journalism, media, public education — and preferably strong familiarity with more than one
- Proficiency with collaborative office technology tools, online learning and major consumer communications platforms
- Working knowledge of nonprofit organizational structures and models
Other qualities we seek include:
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and high EQ
- Effective and respected communication skills (verbal and written)
- Proven ability to interact effectively with senior executives, partners and funders
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and at all levels
- Self-directed, proactive and collaborative working style
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving abilities
An MBA or a related degree is strongly preferred, or substantial and suitable professional experience.
- Serve on NLP’s senior leadership team (currently includes SVP for education programs, VP for digital media, and VP for administration).
- Assume C-level management of administration and people operations, finance, programs, marketing, and strategic partnerships.
- Assess and improve internal processes and and systems for these business operations.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and facilities.
- Steward partnership agreements and build partner relationships for NLP programs, sponsorships and other activities.
Other responsibilities include:
- Supervise staff members’ professional development, including performance evaluation and compensation.
- Ensure an efficient, collaborative and productive work culture.
- Collaborate closely with the founder/CEO on strategic direction and planning.
- Represent NLP in meetings with partners, consultants, vendors, funders, media, peer organizations and others as necessary.
This position is based in Washington, D.C., where a small team (including the founder/CEO) is located. Travel is estimated at 25-35% of time to work with distributed staff, attend quarterly board meetings, and meet with strategic partners and consultants as needed.
NLP offers outstanding benefits, including health and dental insurance, three weeks paid vacation and a 401(k) plan, along with a dynamic, collegial and highly flexible professional environment that rewards initiative, teamwork and creativity.
Commensurate with experience
The News Literacy Project is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or veteran or disability status.
Send your cover letter and resume in a single attachment to email@example.com (with “COO” in the subject line) no later than Sept. 15, 2017. Please use one of these formats: PDF, Word or Google Docs.